“Family, Become What You Are”
( Familiaris Consortio Cf. n. 17) John Paul II
The Syro Malabar Eparchy of St.Thomas the Apostle, Melbourne, acknowledges the prime duty of the Eparchy is to strengthen the families, which are the living pulse of the church. Therefore, through the ministry of Family Apostolate, we plan and implement ways and means to strengthen family ties, to enable each member to be a blessing to another.
Our vision is to bring about happiness and fulfilment in the Catholic families of our Eparchy, by enabling them to lead Christian value centric family lives, thus witnessing Christ to the rest of the world and to build Christ Centered families where they live life in stable health, prayer, love and service.
Mission and the Activities run by the Ministry
- Prepare and guide individuals towards a better marriage through Marriage Preparation Courses.
- Create awareness among families and equip them to face the everyday challenges of family life through Family Enrichment Programmes.
- Help individuals struggling with interpersonal relationships through counselling and guidance.
- Support widows/widowers/singles by organizing support groups for them.
- Offer parental guidance for more fruitful interaction with children and young adults.
Marriage Preparation Course
Aim: to enable the young people to prepare themselves psychologically, spiritually and emotionally before marriage. They are to be equipped to confront the modern challenges in the family and society.
The marriage preparation course is a seminar for 3 days (residential) or conducted online via Zoom, manned by a team of experts consisting of priests, doctors, nurses, lawyers, psychologists and professors.
The subjects dealt with are:-
- Marriage: A call and a sacrament.
- Expectations of Husbands in the marriage
- Expectations of Wives in the marriage
- Family – Problems and solutions
- Responsible Parenthood
- Human Psychology – Sex & Reproduction
- Pre – natal & Post – natal care
- Psychology of children
- Prayer – Its importance in family life
- Reconciliation in marital life
- Family Budget
- Alcohol: a curse of Family
- Marital life and Biology
- Family problems and solutions
Marriage preparation courses are conducted regularly.
It may differ according to the needs and the number of candidates.
The Family Apostolate Department is organizing the next online Marriage Preparation Course (MPC) from Nov 18th Thursday to Nov 20th Saturday 2021 and Nov 25th Thursday to Nov 27th Saturday .It will be conducted Via Zoom.
Nov 2021 MPC Dates and Session Timings (AEST);
18th Nov, Thursday (7pm to 9.30pm)
19th Nov, Friday (7pm to 9.30pm)
20th Nov, Saturday (7pm to 9.30pm)
25th Nov, Thursday (7pm to 9.30pm)
26th Nov, Friday (7pm to 9.30pm)
27th Nov, Saturday (7pm to 9.30pm)
Upcoming online MPC courses in 2022;
Feb 2022 (17th to 19th and 24th to 26th)
May 2022(19th to 21st and 26th to 28th)
7th Saturday (8am to 2pm)
For any enquiries please contact:
Santhosh Jose, Mob: 0423 450 768
Coordinator, Dept of Family Apostolate
Fr George Mankuzhikary
Mr. Santhosh Jose